How to make a claim

Claiming benefits is an important way to provide individuals and families with the financial support they are entitled to.

How do I apply?

This depends on which benefit (s) you intend to apply for. If you are unsure which benefits you can claim then speak to your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

For Housing Benefit, JobSeekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance and Income support you should book an appointment to see an adviser at your local JobCentre Plus. You can find your local centre using this online tool or instead by calling them on 0800 055 6688.

With regard to all benefits claims you will need to provide your National Insurance number.

Which benefits am I eligible to claim?

You may or may not know which benefit (s) you are entitled to claim. However, it is always worth getting advice to ensure you don’t miss out on any potential income opportunities. Benefit entitlements can change so it is best to check you have the latest information on which benefit (s) you maybe eligible to claim.

In addition to State benefits, local councils also have access to a number of discretionary funds to help local residents in times of financial hardship, which is another reason why you should get advice on what financial support is available.

Who should I speak to?

We recommend you make an appointment at your local Citizens Advice Bureau. When you make a visit it is prudent to bring all the relevant documentary evidence relating to your situation. Typically these will include bank statements, letters from your landlord, medical evidence (if applicable) and proof of income.

You can also contact the Citizens Advice Bureau by phone on 03444 111 444 or start a web chat

Where do I go for emergency financial support?

See our dedicated section on Emergency Assistance.