Armed Forces Independence Payment

If you have been seriously injured whilst serving in the armed forces you could be eligible for an Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFID). This is a non-means tested benefit which is non-taxable.

Basic Eligibility Criteria

In order to claim you must have been awarded a Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP) of 50% or more from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. Those who were awarded less than 50% can apply instead for PIP or DLA via the usual means.

It should be noted that AFID cannot be paid in conjunction with other benefits designed to help with disabilities such as DLA or PIP.

Those individuals who receive income from the War Pensions Scheme will not be able to claim AFID, based on the principle they will be receiving access to other financial support to help with their injury or disability.

You should also be aware your injury must have taken place after 6th April 2005

How to apply

You need to contact Veterans UK in order to be sent out a claims form.

Or alternatively you can call them on 0808 191 4218

If in the event of your claim being unsuccessful, you can ask Veterans UK to reconsider their original decision.

When will I get the money?

The money will be paid directly into your bank account or building society every 4 weeks in arrears for as long as you meet the qualifying criteria.

Impact on other benefits

You could also claim Child Tax Credits if you are claiming AFID.

AFID is also exempt from counting towards the benefits cap.