Healthy Start Food Vouchers can be swapped for healthy essential food items such as vegetables, milk and fruit. Pre cooked foods or foods with a high salt or sugar content cannot be used under this scheme.
The scheme is only available between the 1st November and 31st March
You must be either 10 weeks pregnant or have a child aged under four to apply for Healthy Start Food Vouchers. You must also be in receipt of specific benefits including…
- Income Support
- Jobseeker’s Allowance (Income-based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income-related)
- Child Tax Credit so long as you’re not eligible for Working Tax Credit AND your yearly income is less than £16,190
- Universal Credit
However, if you are pregnant and under 18 you can still claim the vouchers regardless of what benefits you maybe receiving
How do I claim
You need to ask for a Healthy Start application form to be sent in the post by calling the Healthy Start Helpline on 0345 607 6823 and quoting reference HS01. This form will need to be signed by a midwife or your local GP / health visitor.
How much will I get?
The vouchers values are listed below
- £3.10 p/w if pregnant
- £6.20 p/w for each child aged under one
- £3.10 p.w for each child aged between 1 and 4 years old