Bereavement Support Payment

If your partner, husband or wife died after 6th April 2017 you can apply to claim Bereavement Support Payment. This benefit is non-means tested and does not count towards the benefit cap. It was introduced on 7th April 2017 and replaces Bereavement Allowance, Widowed Parents Allowance and Bereavement Payment.

Basic Eligibility Criteria

In order to claim you must meet the following criteria….

  • Be old enough to marry but below State Pension age
  • Ensure your late partner made the requisite amount of NI contributions
  • Not be divorced or living with someone else as a couple when they died

Those whose former partner died from an industrial injury may have the NI contributions requirement discounted and therefore still be able to claim.

How much will I get

There are two tiers of Bereavement Support Payment available. These are paid for a maximum of 18 months.

  • Those with children – £3,500 lump sum plus 18 x monthly installments of £350
  • Those without children – £2,500 lump sum plus 18 x monthly installments of £250

However if you reach the State pension age before the end of the 18 months you will no longer be able to claim.

How do I make a claim?

By phone

Call the DWP Bereavement Service:

Tel: 0345 606 0265
Textphone: 0345 606 0285

Download a form

You can download this form and return it to…

Bereavement Support Payment,
Mail Handling Site A,
Wolverhampton WV98 2BS

In person

You can also obtain and form and get help filling it in from your local Job Centre.

What documents do I need to make a claim?

You will need to submit original copies of the following documents…

  • Your marriage certificate
  • Your partner’s death certificate
  • Your birth certificate

You can make a claim from the day your parter passes away as the payments will be backdated (so long as the form is received within 3 months.) If you submit a claim after 3 months the payments will be backdated to when the form was received. If you try and make an application after 18 months of your partner passing away you will not be be able to claim.